About Aikido - The Way of Harmony
Which translates as:
Ai = Harmony/Peace Ki = Energy/Spirit Do = the Way
Aikido is a Japanese martial art which can be used for the purpose of self-defence. It is essentially non-violent and non-competitive. It does not depend on physical strength and can therefore be practised by men, women, boys and girls of all ages.
Aikido is based on natural body movement. Flexibility, muscle tone, stamina and co-ordination are all developed, and consequently it is an excellent way to restore and preserve a healthy body.
Aikido teaches that there is no real separation between body and mind and, by emphasising self-awareness, self-observation and relaxation, the physical discipline of Aikido creates an inner calm that may be carried over into your daily life, helping you to cope with its often stressful demands.
Aikido classes combine practical and effective self-defence techniques. The physical training will educate your body and makes it stronger and healthier. It will teach you how to remain relaxed and in control when under stress and to defend yourself effectively.
Some of the benefits of Aikido are:-
- Provides complete defence against any physical attacks;
- Improves stamina, speed of reaction, co-ordination, sense of timing, improved posture, flexibility, aerobic conditioning, fitness and health;
- Calms the mind and increases confidence;
- Promotes mental, emotional and physical stability. Better ability to resolve conflicts and deal with stressful situations in a calmer and more positive manner; and
- Spiritual benefits to improve your own quality of living.